Bible Study Course
Marriage Part 1
Welcome to Book 1 in the Marriage & Family Series of the Liberty Bible Course. The most important decision that you will ever make is whether to receive Jesus Christ as your Savior. After that, the next most important decision is probably who you will marry. That decision will either help you or hinder you in living for God from day to day for the rest of your life. If you are already married, you need to know how to have, and how to maintain a happy marriage with the blessing of God. If you are young, you need to know Gods will in choosing the right mate someday. If you are separated, divorced, or widowed, then you need to know what Gods will is for your life. This study is written to be used with the KING JAMES BIBLE, otherwise your answers are going to be incorrect. Please get your Bible, and begin another exciting study in Gods Word, that just might change your life!
Chapter 1 I. The Reasons For Marriage.
A. God ordained it for companionship.
1. The Bible says in Genesis 2:18, "It is not good that the man should be __________."2. According to Proverbs 18:22, "Whoso findeth a ________ findeth a ________ thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD."
3. According to Genesis 3:8, GOD WAS WITH MAN. "They heard the voice of the ________________ walking in the garden in the cool of the day." 4. The Bible also tells us in Genesis 2:19, 20, that THE ANIMALS WERE WITH MAN. "And out of the ground the LORD God formed every __________ of the field, and every ________ of the air; and brought them unto Adam..."
Note: God ordained marriage so that Adam might have a companion throughout his life to be with him. But why was that really necessary?
5. Genesis 1:21-25 tells us, "And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their ________, and every winged fowl after his ________: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day. And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his ________, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his ________: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his ________, and cattle after their ________, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his ________: and God saw that it was good." 6. I Corinthians 15:39 says, "All flesh is not the ________ flesh: but there is one ONE KIND OF FLESH of ______, another flesh of ____________, another of ____________, and another of __________." 7. According to Genesis 1:27, the Bible says, "So God created man in his own __________, in the image of ______ created he him; male and female created he them."
Note: God and the animals were present there with man, but man had no one after his kind.
Note: God created man in His own image not in the image of an animal.
Was God able to experience love and fellowship before He created man? Was God lonely before He created man?
8. We are told that God Himself experienced a true oneness, love, and companionship in the matter of the Trinity. a. I John 5:7 tells us, "For there are __________ that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are ______." b. Jesus said in John 10:30, "I and my Father are ______." c. Jesus was speaking with the Father about His disciples and said, "That the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast __________ me." (John 17:23) d. He continues in verse 24 of that same chapter and says, "For thou ______________ me before the foundation of the world." e. Once again, verse 26 continues, "And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the ________ wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them." f. This same truth is seen right in Genesis 1:26, "And God said, Let us make man in ______ image, after ______ likeness."
g. "And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and he took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from ______, made he a __________, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man" (Genesis 2:21-23).
Note: God enjoys a perfect love and companionship in the Trinity, and He thus knew that man could also benefit from having a companion one who would be one with him, and thus He created woman.
Man was made in the image of God, but man is man not God.
Note: Ezekiel 28:9 says, "Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God? but thou shalt be a ______, and no ______, in the hand of him that slayeth thee." According to John 4:24, "God is a __________: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth."
Illustration: People sometimes have animals for pets. Pets may provide protection for their owners and/or times of fun, but pets can never bring true fellowship to man. Man and animals are different kinds. Evolution is not true man did not come from animals, and man has no relationship to animals. We are living in a day when it seems that many people think more of animals than they do of people. It sometimes seems that people who are cruel to animals get more severe penalties, than people who harm other people. Is that right? No, according to the Bible, that is not right. Luke 12:6,7 says, "Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of __________ __________ than many sparrows."
Never put animals before God, or before man, who has been made in the image of God. People sometimes allow pets to come between themselves and their husbands or wives.
Never let a pet run the schedule of your home, or dictate
when and where you can go.
Yes, God cares about animals. Not one of them is forgotten of Him. But we are seeing an unnatural affection toward, and an exaltation of animals today. The Bible says in Romans 1:25, "Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the ________________ more than the ______________, who is blessed for ever. Amen".
The Reasons For Marriage.
A. God ordained it for companionship.
B. God ordained it for an helpmeet. 1. God said that it was not good for the man to be alone, and also said, "I will make him an ________ ________ for him." (Genesis 2:18) 2. Moses began to grow weary of the continual rebellion of the children of Israel, and he said to God, "I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too __________ for me." (Numbers 11:14) 3. Ecclesiastes 4:9 says that "______ are better than one." 4. That verse goes on to tell why, "Because they have a good ____________ for their labour."
5. Ecclesiastes 4:10 continues, "For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is __________ when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."
Illustration: That verse says that two "have a good reward for their labour," because many tasks can be done much more quickly with two people, than with one working alone. That is, it would take one person more than twice as long to do some things alone, than if he had someone helping him.
For instance, think of a brick-layer high atop some scaffolding. He needs more bricks, but he is working alone. Now if he had someone helping him, he could just call down for his helper to load up the forklift with bricks and raise it. But when he is working alone, he must go down the ladder every time to load it and raise it, and then climb back up the ladder to the top. All of the trips up and down are not only going to wear on him, but they are also going to waste a lot of time. He could do the task more than twice as fast with a helper.
Illustration: It is like when an elderly person suffers a health problem and has to go into the hospital. When it is time to be released, the doctor may say, "Now I do not want you to live alone for a few weeks until you gain back your strength. Is there anyone who could stay with you, or any place where you could go?" Why is the doctor so concerned? Because he knows if they fall, they will not be able to get up alone. In the same way, God made man and woman, because He knew that they would need each other. Have you ever known a man who lives alone, and takes the time to cook decent, wholesome meals for himself? There are not too many men out there like that. They usually just go to a restaurant. But how about a woman who lives alone? Do you know of one that will cook regular, decent, wholesome meals for herself? Maybe a few more than men in the same situation, but the percentage is still probably not too high. Many times a married woman will not even cook a decent meal if her husband or children are not going to be present at meal time. She will just snack or fix something quick. She just does not have the desire to go to a lot of trouble preparing a nice meal, if it is just for herself, alone. What you find here is what God knew all along man needs woman, and woman needs man. Like with meals, the man needs the woman to cook the decent meal, but the woman also needs the man to have the incentive to cook it.
The Reasons For Marriage.
A. God ordained it for companionship.
B. God ordained it for an helpmeet.
C. God ordained it for replenishment. 1. In Genesis 1:27, 28, God tells Adam and Eve, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and __________________ the earth." 2. They obeyed this command, and in Genesis 4:1, they had a boy they named ________. 3. They obeyed yet again, and in verse 2 of that same chapter they had ________. 4. Down in verse 25 they had another son, ________. 5. Seth also obeyed this command of God, and in verse 26 he had ________. 6. Children are to be brought forth only in marriage as Hebrews 13:4 clearly shows. "________________ is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge." 7. Matthew 1:18,19 reveals that Joseph was "minded to put her away privily" (verse 19) (to divorce and break off his engagement to Mary) because "she was found with __________ of the Holy Ghost." (verse 18)
Note: Joseph thought it was very, very serious that Mary was expecting a child outside of the marriage vows, and he was going to thus break off their engagement.
Today, women are having babies out of wedlock at an alarming rate. There seems to be no shame about the situation, either. But do not begin to think that they (both the man and the woman) are getting away with anything, and do not think that God has changed His mind about marriage. The Bible says in Galatians 6:7,8, "Be not ________________; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting."
REVIEW: 1. God said that it was "not good that man should be __________." 2. God said, "Whoso findeth a wife findeth a ________ thing." 3. God and the animals were present with man, but man had no one after his own ________. 4. God experienced a true oneness and love and companionship in the matter of the ______________ (God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit). 5. God made woman from one of Adams ______. 6. Man was made in the image of God, but man was man not ______. 7. God says that man is "of more __________ than many sparrows." 8. We are seeing the effects of Romans 1:25 today, where people worship and serve "the ________________ more than the ______________." 9. In Genesis 2:18, God said that He would make "an ________ ________" for man. 10. God told Adam and Eve in Genesis 1:27,28 to "be fruitful, and multiply, and __________________ the earth." 11. Although many are having babies out of wedlock today, they are not getting away with anything, because God says, "Be not ________________; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Chapter 1, 2, 3, 4, Final Test Liberty Bible Course Directory