Examining The New King James Version
When you are finished with this test, please return the entire booklet back to us for grading. When it is graded, this booklet will be returned to you, along with the next booklet. May God richly guide you and give you wisdom from your study of this subject!
1. The idea to produce the New King James Version (NKJV) of the Bible came about from a conversation between Joe Moore and his dad:, Daddy, you make so many Bibles, why cant you make a Bible that I can ____________________? (The New King James Version, by Arthur L. Farstad, pg. 1)
2. The stated purpose of making the NKJV was thus, To ____________ archaic verbs and pronouns; and ...accuracy with regard to words whose English meaning has ______________ over a period of 3 1/2 centuries (http://av1611.com/kjbp/articles/reynolds-nkjv.html).
3. The NKJV changed the word princes to ______________, in Daniel 3:3. Do you think that change made the Bible easier to understand for little Joe Moore or harder?
4. According to Merriam-Websters 11th Collegiate Dictionary, that word is from the 14th century. The KJV was first published in 1611 (the 17th century). So the NKJV translators did not update this verse, but took away a commonly understood word (princes), and inserted a word which was 3 centuries __________ and placed it into the text.
5. The three-cornered symbol, called a __________________, is used on the New King James Version. The same symbol is also a used on a witches book called, The Craft; it was also a featured symbol on an occult television drama called Charmed; it was also the symbol used by the satanic rock group Led Zeppelin.
6. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 says, "Abstain from all appearance of ________."
7. In the KJV, Proverbs 25:23 says, "The north wind ______________ ________ rain: so doth an angry countenance a backbiting tongue," but the NKJV says, "The north wind brings forth rain." They have not updated the verse, but have turned it around to say the opposite thing. They have corrupted the Bible, plus they have made a false statement in regard to the weather.
8. If the Lord says that when the north wind begins to blow, it is going to drive away the rain, can you trust that statement? If God does not even understand the weather, then how could you trust Him with your ________?
9. In the KJV, Acts 3:26 says, "Unto you first God, having raised up his ______ Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities." The NKJV changes that to "His Servant Jesus." (If you have a son, start calling him servant, and see if he likes your update of the English language!).
10. 1 Corinthians 2:12-14 says, "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; __________________ spiritual things with __________________. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually __________________."
11. Translating the Bible is more than just learning another language. It is not just a scholarly task - it is a __________________ task. It is something which requires spiritual discernment.
12. The KJV says in Hebrews 3:16, "For ________, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit ______ ______ that came out of Egypt by Moses." The NKJV makes a false statement when it says, "For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses?" That is not true, because Joshua and Caleb did not rebell.
13. The KJV says of Jesus in Hebrews 2:16, "For verily he took ______ on him the ____________ of ____________; but he took on him the seed of Abraham." The NKJV says, "For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham." Thus they destroyed a good verse to show the cults that Jesus did not come as an angelic being, but as the Son of God in real human flesh. Also, God does give aid to angels, or they would have no power.
14. Jude 1:9 says, "Yet Michael the __________________, when ____________________ with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The ________ rebuke thee.
15. Angels are ______ all-powerful. They cannot fulfill Gods pleasure by their ______ power, but only by being aided or given power by God to fulfill such tasks.
16. The KJV says in 2 Kings 23:29 that, Pharaohnechoh king of Egypt went up ______________ the king of Assyria. The NKJV says, Pharaoh Necho king of Egypt went to the AID of the king of Assyria. That is not an update of language, but is totally reversing the meaning of the verse.
17. The KJV says in 2 Corinthians 2:17, For we are not as many, which ______________ the word of God. The NKJV says, For we are not, as so many,[a] PEDDLING the word of God. The word corrupt means to break, separate, or dissolve, but the word peddle means to travel about with wares for sale. That is not updating words.
18. The KJV says in 2 Timothy 2:15, __________ to show thyself approved unto God. The NKJV says, BE DILIGENT to present yourself approved to God. Is the word study out-of-date?
19. The word study is clearly understood. The problem is that people do not like that word, because it means work. Ecclesiastes 12:12 says, ...much __________ is a ____________________ of the flesh.
20. The KJV says in 1 Corinthians 1:18, For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are __________ it is the power of God. The NKJV says, to us who are BEING SAVED Is salvation a process? When you repent of your sin and ask the Lord Jesus Christ to save you, does that only begin a process that leads up to salvation? No, that is false doctrine.
21. The KJV says in Matthew 21:32, For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen it, ________________ not afterward, that ye might believe him. The NKJV says, ...you did not afterward RELENT and believe him. The word relent means, to become less severe, harsh, or strict; to cease resistance; give in; let up, slacken, mollify (Merriam-Websters 11th Collegiate Dictionary). You can relent and give in to someone who has you out-numbered or out-powered, but that does not mean that you would continue following that one if there seemed to arise another choice.
Are you certain that if you died today, you would go to heaven?
1. Do you realize that you have sinned?
(Romans 3:23) "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
(1 John 1:8) "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
(Ecclesiastes 7:20) "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."
2. Do you realize the penalty for your sin?
(Romans 6:23) "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
3. Do you realize that if you die in your sin, you will go to hell?
(Psalms 9:17) "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."
(Proverbs 15:24) "The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath."
(Luke 12:4-5) "And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him."
4. Do you realize that the Lord Jesus Christ, God in the flesh, paid that death penalty for you?
(Matthew 1:21-23) "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us."
(John 14:6-7) "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him."
(John 3:16) "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
(Romans 5:8) "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."
(1 Peter 3:18) "For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit."
(1 Peter 2:24) "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed."
5. Do you realize that it is only through the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ that you can be saved, and not through any good works of your own?
(1 John 1:7) "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin."
(1 Peter 1:18-19) "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot."
(Ephesians 2:8-9) "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
(Titus 3:5-7) "Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life."
6. Do you realize that after Jesus died for your sins, He arose victorious from the grave the third day, proving that His sacrifice was sufficient to pay for all of the sins of the whole world?
(1 Corinthians 15:1-4) "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures."
7. Do you realize that to be saved you must repent (you must have the desire to turn from your sin and false beliefs, and have the desire for God to transform your life)?
(Luke 13:3) "I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish."
(Acts 3:19) "Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord."
(Acts 26:20) "But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance."
(Mark 9:43-48) "And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched."
8. Do you realize that after you get saved, God's first command for you is to get baptized and then to live for Him?
(Acts 2:41) "Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls."
(Romans 6:1-4) "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life."
(2 Corinthians 5:17) "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new."
(Titus 3:3-8) "For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men."
(Titus 2:11-14) "For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works."
(1 Corinthians 6:9-11) "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God."
(Galatians 5:19-26) "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another."
(1 Corinthians 11:14-15) "Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering."
(Deuteronomy 22:5) "The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."
(Ephesians 4:22-32) "That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another. Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil. Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you."
9. Are you ready to now ask the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive you of all your sins, and to save you?
(John 1:12) "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name."
(Romans 10:9-11) "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed."
(Romans 10:13) "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."
(1 John 5:13) "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."
ATTENTION: If you die before you make this decision, then you will spend eternity in the torment of hell fire. Turn from your wickedness and sin, and humble yourself before Almighty God right now.
Bow your head right now and confess to God that you are a sinner deserving judgment. Ask the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive you of all your sins, and to save you. Tell Him that you now repent, and ask Him to cleanse your life, and to give you the power to live for Him. Tell Him that you are trusting in His shed blood alone to cleanse you from all your sin. Ask Him to lead you to a good, Bible-preaching church, where you can follow the first command after salvation that of getting baptized and publicly confessing your faith in Him. Ask Him to help you find some good Christian friends to encourage you in the faith and to help you grow.
If you have just asked the Lord Jesus Christ to save you, please copy this into an email with your name, so we can rejoice with you.
________________________________________________ (sign name here)
#BC-E-124 @ 2007 LIBERTY GOSPEL TRACTS
This Bible Study Course may be printed off for personal study, but cannot be printed in quantity
and distributed without prior written permission from Liberty Gospel Tracts.www.libertygospeltracts.com
LIBERTY GOSPEL TRACTS
11845 W CARSON CITY RD
GREENVILLE MI 48838 USA
Chapter 1 Chapter 2 Chapter 3 Chapter 4 Chapter 5 Final Test Liberty Bible Course Directory